Magnesium is a crucial mineral for every body, but especially those with autoimmune diseases. And one of the quickest and most effective ways to get magnesium into your body is through the skin, which is why magnesium spray is so popular amongst anyone battling these diseases.
Sometimes you can’t spray oil all over your body, though. This body butter is something you could transport easily and use as a body lotion. It can be a little greasy, so you’ll probably want to wash your hands after applying it. Without further ado, the recipe!
Magnesium Body Butter
1/4 cup organic extra virgin coconut oil (like Viva Labs, which I prefer)
1/2 cup unrefined cocoa or shea butter (Better Shea Butter is a good product)
1/4 cup magnesium oil (BioActive Nutrients is available on Amazon and an excellent value)
5 – 10 drops of essential oils (if you’re looking for energy and vitality, try a blend with some of the following: Rosemary, Basil, Lemon, Lime, Peppermint, or any others that make you feel good. A good blend is Age Defy from Edens Garden.)
Image courtesy of Creative Commons
1. In a double boiler or over low heat, melt coconut oil and butter.
2. Pour into medium-sized bowl and let cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes, or until it begins to get opaque.
3. Using a stand mixer or hand blender with the whipping attachment, start to whip together the oils.
4. Ever so slowly, begin to add in the magnesium oil until well combined. At this point you can also add essential oils of your choice. If you are pregnant, check the safety of your essential oil.
5. Place in the refrigerator for about 15-20 minutes until it is semi-solid and then re-blend. It is best to set the lotion in this way so that it whips up optimally- giving it a divinely fluffy texture.
6. Scoop into glass jars and store in the refrigerator. The body butter will be firm when you first start to apply, but melts nicely into the skin and absorbs rapidly.
I will do an entire post soon about the benefits of magnesium for all sorts of chronic illnesses. It’s a mineral tons of people, “healthy” or not, are severely deficient in, and it is needed by practically every cell in your body. But for now, make this awesome butter and enjoy the benefits!