RECIPE: Paleo cinnamon rolls – yes, they exist
Cinnamon rolls, without ruining my Paleo diet? Yes, please!
NOTE: I took this recipe from a wonderful blog: http://paleogrubs.com/cinnamon-roll-recipe
Sticky, Ooey, Gooey Paleo Cinnamon Rolls
For the dough
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour (you can substitute another Paleo flour if you don’t like coconut – I can’t stand the stuff myself – here’s a place to find all sorts of Paleo substitutions for coconut products)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
For the filling
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- Honey, for drizzling
- 1/4 cup pitted Medjool dates, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
For the glaze
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp coconut cream (you can substitute almond milk, which tastes a little nuttier than cashew milk, which can also be used)
- Pinch of cinnamon
- Whisk together the coconut oil, egg, honey, and vanilla in a medium bowl. Add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir well to combine.
- Transfer the dough onto a sheet of wax paper. Cover with another sheet of wax paper and roll out into a long rectangle. Remove the top sheet of wax paper. Drizzle the dough with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon. Top with the chopped walnuts and dates.
- Use the wax paper to roll the dough into a log. Place the log in the freezer to harden for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Slice the log into individual pieces, about 9 or 10 rolls. Place onto a baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes until golden.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by stirring together the honey, coconut cream, and cinnamon. Once the rolls are golden, remove from the oven and drizzle with glaze. Serve warm.
Servings: 9-10 small rolls