GO NATURAL: Let’s talk about detox!
I’m sure I sound like a lunatic for being so enthusiastic about this topic, but truthfully, I am kind of excited about it. Why? Because I think it’s one of the easiest, fastest ways anyone suffering from a chronic illness can help themselves.
What is detox, exactly? In the most basic terms, it’s the act of ridding your body of anything that can hurt it. This includes all kinds of toxins, which is why it’s called detox. 😉
I’ve brought together several recipes for different kinds of detox, and in my opinion, it’s best to mix them up, since they target different things. Makes sense, right? Let’s go!
Detox with a smoothie
Recipe courtesy of Sofisty Recipe
Now, I know what you’re probably saying. “This looks like a gross combination, just a bunch of blended up veggies.” Well, you’re right. That’s the basis for this smoothie, but really, we all know vegetables are one of the best ways to stay healthy, right?
Most of us, but especially chronic illness warriors, have too high an acid Ph in our bodies. This smoothie targets the liver, which stores and gets rid of the toxins you eat, drink, and breathe. In effect, it’s a booster shot to help the liver do better what it already does.
Detox with water
Recipe courtesy of Budget Savvy Diva
Everybody and their little brother is carrying a bottle of water around these days. It’s not a secret that water is good for you, but if you’re like me, you’re not crazy about the taste. It’s boring, IMO. So spruce it up! Not only will you drink more if it’s an interesting flavor, but you’ll also get the benefits of the wonderful things you add.
This recipe has three basic elements, besides the water itself, and ice. Here’s why they’re a part of this particular concoction.
Cucumbers – Refreshing
Strawberries – Energy BOOSTER – Adds a wonderful flavor to the water plus has enough fiber to boost your digestion
Basil – Helps curb appetite, settle upset tummies, also is a fluid retention helper ( I know when it is warm I am always retaining water)
- 3 Basil leaves roughly chopped
- 1 strawberry sliced
- 3 – 5 slices of cucumber
- Combine all the ingredients in a large glass
- Let it sit for 5 minutes at least
Detox with soup
Recipe courtesy of citronlimette.com
- 1 cup medium onion, diced
- 6 clove garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large red pepper, chopped
- 4 carrots, diced
- 1 large sweet potatoes, cut in small cubes
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 small yellow squash, diced
- 1- 28 ounce diced tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon fresh cilantro, cupped
- ½ Tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 3 cups vegetables broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups white beans. cooked ( use your favorite)
- 1 head kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients except the kale in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours or put all the ingredients except the kale in a large pot and cook on the stove. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour. After the soup is fully cooked through, stir in the kale and keep over the heat for 2 minutes longer.
And a bonus, detox with diet
I hope I’ve given you some viable options for ways to detox your body. For tons more, take a peek at my Pinterest board, Detox Your Body, and be sure to add your favorite recipe for detoxing in the comments section!